knitting something woven

Welcome to the thing that completely preoccupied me for two weeks, leaving me no time to properly celebrate my 40th birthday in an entry (40th! what the hell).

This whole thought came about because of the pandemic. I store my loom at a storage unit, and I thought I could work on a compromise with either knitting or crochet. Tunisian crochet was a breakthrough, and now figuring out how to make this block of blocks is another. But damn, I was obsessed with solving this for two whole weeks, especially with my inability to properly visualise my way out of construction conundrums. Material mockups or bust, basically. 

I’ll probably eventually get started on something like a twill weave shot silk once i get my loom back, but in the meantime, slipped stitches scratched that itch, resulting a faux-woven texture. (why shot silk? it’s not so much the silk but the twill weave in two colours for the warp and weft and then I’ll see how well that works in thicker gauges. probably not well, but let’s see.)

 

how innocent they all look at this stage

I even made a video (below; with timestamps even!) detailing the process. This is definitely for me, because I really cannot remember shit. I was trying to solve a couple of self-prescribed problems: the pre-finishing curl to the stitch; the eventual stretch from the direction of the tension, the fact I never have enough yarn to make a complete piece (i spin a lot; I also have short-term recall problem; I have cats. The result is my cats get extremely bougie chew toys). So maybe something like a patchwork something would be the way to go. I’ve been fiddling around with motifs and squares/polygons in the last year and a half for this reason alone. Crochet can get too thick; knitting too stretchy. Though I did accidentally make a rather handsome (and unfinished) faux rib neck wrap/ruff/cowl because I enjoyed the knitted rows of the linen stitch too much to switch to the purl stitches. 

Basically, I casted on not just the stitches for the herringbone stitch, but also the selvedge/edge stitches as well. Herringbone stitch forms ruffled sides which was visually challenging at that gauge for me to accurately pick up the stitches. Which also brings up the problem of calculating the stitches that can uniformly form the base of the next set of square/block. It worked out that 20 rows of the stitch is as tall as the width of 30 casted on stitches. So a whole week gone trying to calculate the maths. 

In the end, I’ve solved it that each pair of herringbone stitches (as each knit row and purl row makes the angular rib/bone pattern) will take up 3 edge stitches from each side. Counting it by pairs means it’s 10 rows to take on 30 stitches, which was easier for me to divide. It also works out that I can visually figure out how many edge stitches to pick up this way:

  • First, let’s establish what’s the herringbone stitch. It’s slipping 2 stitches from the left to the right needle and knit from the back, for the knit row. For the purl row, no need to slip the stitches, just purl 2. Then for both kinds of rows, slip off only one stitch, leaving one stitch on the needle. 
  • At the beginning of this block/square, pick up one edge stitch. Now you’ll have 3 stitches to purl or knit from the back. Regardless, only one stitch remains on the needle for the next knit/purl, so that means you’ll slip 2 stitches off of the needle. Resume as usual for the rest.
  • At the end of the row, there’s going to be one stitch left that’s knitted or purled on its own before starting on the next row. In this case, pick up 2 edge stitches, and then knit/purl 3 together.

So it works out that each row takes up a total of 3 stitches from both sides, and each pair of rows takes 3 stitches each side. Ok, if your eyes are crossing, I made a video, as mentioned.

At the end there, I showed my current spinning project, this Haunui/Silk blend I got from Heavenly Wools at Etsy. (I misread the store notice; I thought they’re on early Christmas break, but it seems to be a longer hiatus). I’m gonna miss this blend when I’m done with it. It’s not helped by the fact that aside from the chew toy thing, I forgot for singles this fine I shouldn’t be plying from a centre-pull ball. I did remember that after a certain point, some snarls are unsalvageable. Gah. But the nice thing about fibre and spinning is that even with mistakes like that, most of what you make is still useable. So I’m still plying. This time round, I’m not aiming for super-thin laceweight, but a bit more beefy, but still lace. Basically the normal, reasonable laceweight other people would produce. I posted this on IG and a friend asked if I’m selling this. As much as I would love to have a monetizable hobby, it’s apparently not my karma/rezeki. I barely make enough for me! RIP my dreams of being a production spinner, lol. 

the three stages
I send out weekly updates. Drop your email below.

Read the privacy policy for more info.

Support This Site

If you like what I do please support me on Ko-fi

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x